How to drive safely on Indian highways and avoid accidents?
Most of us love a joyful weekend holiday outside the city, and to do so we also fancy driving to the destination with our friends and families. Therefore, highways play an important role to reach our destination as it connects the different cities of our country. But in India, most of the road casualties occur on highways due to bad driving conditions and reckless drivers.
So, here are some tips which you should keep in mind while driving on a highway:
- Speed: Speed is one of the most important things when driving on highways. You should stick to the same speed limit as directed on the signboards. It will ensure our safety as well as of others on the road.
- Tyre Pressure: As we drive cars at high speed on highways, it results in a rise in temperature of the tyres. Therefore, the tyres should not be overinflated or under inflated as the tyres will burst. To avoid this situation, we all should follow the tyre pressure as per the PSI (Pound-force per square inch) level.
- Distance between vehicles: Safe distance between vehicles is one of the most important things to consider while driving on highways. We all should follow the 4-second rule to prevent crashing and also get enough time to act in crash-like situations.
- Overtaking: Overtaking is the main reason for most of the highway accidents. One should overtake carefully by judging the speed of the car ahead and the space available on the other lane. Blind spot overtaking should be totally avoided.
- Indicators: This is very important when overtaking or taking a turn. Indicator helps the driver to be prepared for your actions and act accordingly. This will reduce the risk of accidents and you should follow this in your regular driving also.
- Lane discipline: People are supposed to overtake from the rightmost lane in India. The drivers look into their side mirrors to avoid any vehicle falling into their blind spot. So, it is important to give indicator light while overtaking or changing lanes as it would reduce the risk of accidents.
- Don’t drink and drive: Drinking and driving should never be mixed, but still it is seen that many people do it and end up in some mishap. Statistics show that most of the accidents take place due to drunk driving. Therefore, one should totally avoid alcohol while driving.
Thus, all of us should follow these rules while driving on highways to ensure our safety as well as of others and enjoy the beautiful road trips.